At The Gentle Dental, we commit to ensuring all of our patients are fully informed about what their treatment entails, prior to the treatment commencing.
The insertion of a dental implant is one of the most popular long-term tooth replacement solutions.
The procedure works by inserting a titanium screw into the jawbone which will serve as an artificial root, where a tooth replacement such as a crown or denture will be placed onto.
Is the procedure painful?
e know that many of our patients have dental phobias, or at least experience some small feelings of anxiety when thinking about coming to the dentist.
We have many measures in place to ensure that treatment is as comfortable and stress-free, including fully informing our patients about every step we will take throughout the procedure, a comfortable setting and sedation if you desire.
However, a lot of people are fearful of perceived levels of pain, or the potential risks attached to the procedure.
Thankfully, the most uncomfortable thing about the dental implant procedure is the injection needed for sedation.
We use a local anaesthetic so that you won’t feel the insertion of the artificial tooth root, instead, you will only feel a slight pressure on the jaw bone.
If your tooth needs to be surgically removed prior to the treatment, then patients often report this aspect is actually more uncomfortable than the insertion of the dental implant and have claimed that the procedure was pain-free.
At The Gentle Dental, we promise full access if you have any additional queries or concerns in the following days or weeks post-surgery.
You can contact us on 020 8224 7562.
In some cases, patients require pain medications after surgery.
This may be necessary if you experience swelling or intense discomfort in the following days after surgery.
Again, you can contact us if this occurs and we will guide you through the necessary steps to take.
The procedure can be split into 5 stages:
- Initial consultation: The procedure will begin with a comprehensive examination where we assess 56 areas of the mouth to decide the appropriate implant treatment for you.
- Diagnostic records: This stage involves taking moulds or a scan of your mouth. In addition, a cone – beam CT scan will be completed which is a 3D X-ray that will allow us to assess the height and width of the bone, and identify any important anatomical features such as nerves. This ensures that we place the correct type, shape and size of the implant.
- Surgery: If you prefer we are happy to carry out surgery under local anaesthetic. During this phase, the implant or implants are placed into the bone and covered up by the gum. The option for having the implant placement under conscious-sedation is also available.
- New teeth: During this stage, we will uncover the implant and manufacture your new tooth or teeth. If the implant is now fully covered by the gum then we will carry out a small procedure to partially expose the implant before connecting the artificial tooth.
- Fitting the new tooth: For the final stage, we will fit your new tooth! You may choose to have a local anaesthetic for this stage too, but many people are happy to do it without. We will review your healing progress after 4 weeks to ensure your new customised teeth have settled in perfectly and are stable and secure.
What happens after the procedure?
Following the procedure, you can expect some general discomfort typical of most dental surgeries. This may include:
- Gum/face swelling
- Bruising of gums and skin surrounding area
- Pain at the implant site
- Slight bleeding or inflammation
Your dentist will make sure you are given all of the required guidelines to best care for the new implant before leaving the practice. Are dental implants successful?
Get in contact today
Our highly qualified, experienced dentists are more than well-equipped to make your dental implant treatment comfortable, stress-free and effective. Click here to see our before and after gallery and get an idea of the successful treatments we provide.
Our clinic is extremely well-known throughout the community in Surrey as we accept patients from Twickenham, Walton, Woking, Hampton Court and neighbouring towns.
If you think you may require a dental implant or would like to discuss alternative treatment options to suit your needs, do not hesitate to get in contact.
Our receptionists will be happy to book a free consultation appointment for you to suit your availability, where you can gain access to expert advice tailored to your own dental needs. Contact us now.
Get an interest-free loan in under 5 minutes
It only takes 2 minutes to apply and you’ll get an answer immediately – applying for a loan has never been easier.
0% finance is available for many treatments up to £30,000. Credit decisions will be subject to individual circumstances. You must be over 18 and earn an income to apply.